Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Reflections on readings 2/23

I think that the tips for teaching writing with CALL mentioned in chapter 4 of the CALL textbook were very useful especially the one that suggests teaching students how to benefit from interactive help and feedback from the computer. I believe that teaching students through CALL writing activities such as blogs can encourage them to continue writing outside the classroom (bigger audience).

In “Writing to mean: Computer-mediated feedback in online tutoring of multidraft compositions” article, I truly agree with the author that teachers should be focusing on the question-form comments because I really think that this strategy will push students to be independent learners.

As far as the question posed in “Can learners use concordance feedback for writing errors?” article is concerned, I think that if concordances can help students in correcting vocabulary and grammar, then why not use it? But I think that students cannot depend on it for content and development of supportive ideas. So, they can use it for a specific purpose but they will still need their teacher’s guidance and feedback.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that concordances could be very beneficial in terms of grammar and vocabulary development. Probably it is true that students cannot depend on concordances when their goal is to improve the structural organization and cohesion of their writing. However, I would argue that concordances could be used for generating ideas especially by more advanced students.

    ReplyDelete